Monday 1 November 2010

Our link with Bangladesh



We have made contact with an International School in Dhaka( ISD), Bangladesh. It is a large, rich school which teaches in English. We have written letters to Year 3 pupils there- to  Fahim, Rafin, Merhab Dhali, Azaan, Zabir, Simran, Maheyra, Rico, Alisa, Merhab Mortin, Aaya, Labib, Shazia, Samiha, Nasibul, Arnab, and Shama. Most of  these children speak English as a second language.  We are now waiting for their replies.

Our link school is quite prestigeous and open to the more affluent  privileged Bangladeshi community but they also support poorer children who have a different experience of school, even  children who have not gone to school before at all. 

ISD is running an Art Competition which will lead to an on-line Art auction to raise money towards sending street children to school. 


 
Glaitness School have entered the Art competition and are painting pictures on
"what happiness means to them" - some of us have decided to create pictures about what happiness might mean to a poor child from the Dhaka slums rather than to ourselves in this country. We have realised how rich we are by comparing our lives with the children in Dhaka.

Our teacher Mrs Whittles  has spent several years teaching in Dhaka city and undersands how privileged we are are and how much  we have here in Orkney compared to many millions of people in the Global South.

Mrs Whittles in Dhaka.

10 comments:

  1. my painting is about to smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My panting is about that make me happy so I put
    me playing football

    ReplyDelete
  3. my painting is about what makes me happy. I did me watching TV!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my picture is about smiling in art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My painting is about what makes me happy. I like football. Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  6. my painting is a house with the world cup can you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My painting is about a house and a dog we are in the
    bathroom I love my dog and my dog loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My painting is about my birthday because it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my painting is about a house and a dog. We are in the bathroom. I love my dog and my dog loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My painting is a house. It gives me shelter on stormy nights.

    ReplyDelete